This recipe turns traditional crumb cakes into cupcakes. The tartness of the berries blends well with the brown and white sugar crumb topping.
Raspberry Crumb Cakes Video
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup soft unsalted butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2¾ cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups chopped fresh raspberries, plus whole ones for garnish
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 °F (113 °C).
- To make the crumbs: whisk together both sugars and the cinnamon and salt. Stir in butter, then add flour and mix lightly until the mixture forms medium crumbs.
- To make the cupcakes: in a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar; add eggs, vanilla, sour cream and blend.
- In a smaller bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add the flour mix slowly to the creamed mixture.
- Fill each cup of the muffin tin coated with Teflon™ nonstick, a little more than halfway full.
- Top with raspberries and then cover well with crumbs. Pat the crumbs very lightly into the batter, which will rise through the crumbs.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Shake powdered sugar overtop; garnish with additional berries.