Brighten a breezy cold day with healthy delicious pinwheel appetizers that are fun and easy to make.
- 1 package of pastry dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces raw baby spinach
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, squeezed, drained, and chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 pinch of salt
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Sauté onions until tender, add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add spinach 2-3 minutes to soften. Remove and cool.
- Process with artichokes, mayonnaise, and cheese in a food processor until smooth.
- Roll out pastry dough onto a lightly-floured surface; spread each pastry sheet with half of the spinach mix, leaving ½-inch border.
- Roll up from short side; cover in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Unwrap the rolls, brush with egg wash (mix egg, water, and salt together) and slice rolls ½-inch thick.
- Place on baking sheet with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.