Pureed watermelon flesh puts a healthy spin on these cupcakes. Add watermelon syrup for even more fruity flavor.
Fresh Watermelon Cupcakes Video
- 1 white cake mix, reserving 1 teaspoon of mix
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1 cup watermelon puree
- 3 large egg whites, use yolks for another recipe
- 1 tablespoon watermelon flavored syrup, optional
- Red or deep pink food coloring
- White icing tinted with green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C) .
- In a small bowl, coat ½ cup chocolate chips with the reserved 1 teaspoon of cake mix.
- In a large bowl, blend cake mix with the watermelon puree, egg whites, oil, watermelon syrup and a few drops of food coloring. Beat on low 2 minutes until moist.
- Fold in the coated chocolate chips, and then fill each cup of the muffin pan ⅔ per cup full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until tester comes clean; don't let the cupcakes brown.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Frost each cake and top with a few chocolate chips.